Monday, June 08, 2009

Things I love about NZ #22 - hardcore playgrounds

DSC_2295

The playgrounds here are really cool.  All the equipment is like a no-net trapeze act.  I admit that I haven't visited many playgrounds elsewhere, but I know that I never saw a flying fox at a playground anywhere other than NZ.  What's a flying fox?  See below.

DSC_1164

A flying fox is a swing attached to a cable that you slide down a hill on with your baby in your lap.  At the end of the ride, the swing collides with a bumper - often you see kids fly off the swing at that point, esp if 2-4 kids have piled on the swing.  A few weeks back our church was revitalizing a school in the neighborhood and part of that was redoing the playground.  Sadly, there are now a growing number of restrictions on building new playgrounds which are designed to eliminate any potential for fun that a child might have. 

No comments:

Post a Comment

go on, say something.