Thursday, January 18, 2007

A Note on New Zealand Culture

We have a friend in town from the States and as we went about explaining nuances of the Kiwi culture, I was reminded of one of my first bus rides through the city. It was five 'o clock traffic. The bus was completely packed. We were driving up Symonds Street when I realized how quiet it was on the bus. Not a single person was talking on their cell phone. I thought, well, there must be some rule about talking on the cell phone on the bus or maybe Kiwis are just particularly considerate of others. I mean, if this were LA, surely there wouldn't be a single person on the bus not talking on their cell phone. It wasn't until later that I learned the Kiwis are texters. There are only two cell phone companies in the entire country and talking on the phone is really expensive, but texting is relatively free.

No comments:

Post a Comment

go on, say something.