Saturday, February 27, 2010

My ethnicity - ‘Other’

As I recall, forms in the US that asked for my ethnicity gave me the option of ‘white/Caucasian’.  Other options were black, hispanic or asian, then there was an ‘other’ option.  I always checked ‘white/caucasian’, although it is well documented that my peeps have chinese, jewish, native american, black and arabian blood, in addition to our swiss, irish, english and german (no french) which gives our white tone.  Well, here are the choices you get in New Zealand. 

DSC_6494

What do I identify with here?  ‘Other European’?  What’s ‘New Zealand European’?  I’m tempted to lean on my chinese heritage so that I don’t have to go into my explanation of ‘other’.  I could go with ‘other European’, I guess.  But, I check ‘other’ and explain ‘American, mostly white looking - North American, not South American.’  So, when will the North American mutt (not Canadian) become it’s own ethnicity?  Or will globalization make this categorization obsolete?

3 comments:

  1. so, so funny kim...cracked me up!

    ReplyDelete
  2. So Mike - which side is which? I've tried finding info on the Grammer side, and hit a brick wall not to far back - please share if you have it! :-)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi, Kendra - all the exotic stuff comes from my mom's side of the family, the Hollingsworths. Mamaw told me that Grammy's father was born in Switzerland and moved to the North east US at some point, before moving to Vernon, but then ended up in Ohio. I seem to recall that 'grammer' has pretty solid anglo-saxon roots.

    ReplyDelete

go on, say something.